Author Topic: Execution of BA on a build server  (Read 14735 times)

jobou

• View Profile
Execution of BA on a build server
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:10:20 AM »
Hi,

I try to execute build automator project by command line on a build server. The process that execute build automator project is made by another admin user internaly on the server.

Example :

When I do a check-in of clarion code to my TFS server, the user get the last changes from TFS and an trigger a build of the build automator project from the command line.

My problem is that when the process start to build a Clarion 6 apps it's seems to hang at the start of the first apps of 20. ( look at the log file )

So, i don't know if if there is an error when loading Clarion 6 or when build automator start. I don't find any error in event log.

1)
If I log into the server with the same user that trigger the build, it's build correctly and everythings is fine. So there is no permission problem.

2)
If I restart my server an try to build the project, it's build correctly and everythings is fine.

After, on every time I try to build the build automator project the problem appear. I can just restart the server to fix it for one build. I don't want to restart the server at each check-in to be sure that all apps are building correctly.

Do you know what I can do to fix my problem?

tanks for any help

================================================================================
Log for project:         C:\CCNetClarion\ChronoSteril.Clarion.Nightly\WorkingDirectory\BuildAutomatorFiles\BuildAllChronoGestionApps.aprj
Project Name:            BuildAllChronoGestionApps
Started on:              05/05/2009 11:15:18 AM
================================================================================

Line     Time         Status      Information
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
001 +CompileChronoGestion
001-0001 11:15:19.272 *EXECUTE    Compile in Clarion 6.0: %PROJECTPATH%\glochro.app -> %PROJECTPATH%\glochro.dll

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Execution of BA on a build server
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:15:53 AM »
Hi,

Difficult to say what is going on.  But, you can set up DebugView and the Build Automator will push quite a bit of information out to it so if you do that and send me the log from DebugView I may be able to get some idea.  Does it make any difference if the Clarion IDE is open or closed when you start? 

Best regards,
Arnor Baldvinsson - Icetips Alta LLC

jobou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
There is the log from debug viewer!

%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s
%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s
ExecuteCommandLineProject
Project = C:\CCNetClarion\ChronoSteril.Clarion.Nightly\WorkingDirectory\BuildAutomatorFiles\BuildAllChronoGestionApps.aprj
No Clarion version is running, good to go
Searching for XMLLoc:ClarionVerionToUse = Clarion 6.0
Version to connect to: 6

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the log.  I have a similar report from one other customer.  It is like sometimes Build Automator can't run Clarion and it hangs waiting for it to respond.  I will review the code tomorrow morning and see if I can find a possible reason why it is not working properly.  This seems to be system or machine specific and I don't have a common denominator on this yet...

Best regards,

jobou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »
I think I have solve my problem. I'm not sure what could cause the problem.

I think that my problem was related at the fact that when we do a get latest on TFS server, my program get all the files from my project ( .app, .clw, .inc, .h ) and after it compiles every Clarion App with an build automator project. When the get latest append, it brings the files ( .app, .clw, .inc, .h ) in a directory. So, every files are read-only at that times.

When Build Automator start the project, he try to compile the first app and generate the files ( .clw and .inc ) but they are already there. Than, nothing append....

I didn't know that clarion regenerate all files this files on app startup.

SOLUTION:
I have removed the generated files (.clw, .inc) of all my clarion apps from the source controle server "Team Foundation Server".

Now when I start a build on my build server, it's doesn't block at the first step/app. Everything look to build perfectly.

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
Excellent timing as I was just going through this!!!  At any rate I had just placed some more debug code into the part of BuildAutomator that starts the Clarion IDE so it should give us some more information if this happens again.  Personally I don't see how the clw files would affect anything since then the Clarion IDE would simply ignore them, but who knows!<g>  Beta 4 should be out tonight:)

Best regards,

jobou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 09:21:42 AM »
Hi Arnor,

I was thinking that my problem was fixed but I was wrong. I always have a problem when my project build the second time.

I send the log of DebugView when my project do nothing after loging the line "WaitTime > Clock() = 3433548 - 3427599" for about an hour an timeout.

I also send the log of DebugView when my project build correctly.

I was thinking that probably the services that execute build automator is using some files (Clarion or Build Automator) and when he retries to execute the project he is not able to start clarion and hang there.

It looks like build automator is not able to connect to clarion and log the "Connection established" and "Compiling 1 Clarion apps".

I have a temporary solution, I restart the services and after I can build once. I have to restart at each build.

Tanks for any part of solution for this

1) The log of my build automator project when he fails with a timeout

[4056] ExecuteCommandLineProject
[4056]   Project = C:\CCNetClarion\MyProject\WorkingDirectory\BuildAutomatorFiles\BuildAllChronoGestionApps.aprj
[4056] No Clarion version is running, good to go
[4056] Searching for XMLLoc:ClarionVerionToUse = Clarion 6.0
[4056] Version to connect to: 6
[4056] Clarion versions found
[4056] Clarion version to run: 6
[4056] EVENT:Timer
[4056]   RunStarted  = 0
[4056]   Timer value = 50
[4056]   WaitTime > Clock() = 3433548 - 3427599

1) The log of my build automator project when he builds correctly

[740] ExecuteCommandLineProject
[740]   Project = C:\CCNetClarion\MyProject\WorkingDirectory\BuildAutomatorFiles\BuildAllApps.aprj
[740] No Clarion version is running, good to go
[740] Searching for XMLLoc:ClarionVerionToUse = Clarion 6.0
[740] Version to connect to: 6
[740] Clarion versions found
[740] Clarion version to run: 6
[740] EVENT:Timer
[740]   RunStarted  = 0
[740]   Timer value = 50
[740]   WaitTime > Clock() = 7034908 - 7028959
[740] Connection NOT established
[740] Run not started yet
[740] 2. Attempting to run: "C:\CLARION6\BIN\C60PE.EXE"
[740] SELF.ShowSetting = 1
[740] EVENT:Timer
[740]   RunStarted  = 1
[740]   Timer value = 150
[740]   WaitTime > Clock() = 7034908 - 7029111
[740] Connection established
[740]          19:31:31.103 INFO        Compiling 1 Clarion apps.
[740] Number of Apps to compile: 1
[740] After getting App:   7029112
[740] Compiling app 1
[740]   Appname = C:\CCNetClarion\MyProject\WorkingDirectory\och.app
[740]   Target  = C:\CCNetClarion\MyProject\WorkingDirectory\och.dll
[740]   HoldDate =  5/25/2009
[740]   HoldTime = 19:30:43

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 01:04:56 AM »
Hi,

Sorry for the VERY late reply - I didn't get a notification about the reply:(

Are you testing with Beta 4? 

Best regards,

jobou

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
I have fixe my problems since my last post with the update of BA and other tools.

Build automator beta 4 is working very well rigth now, no problems at all.

jonatan