Author Topic: Add more information about error during clarion app compilation  (Read 7647 times)

jobou

• View Profile
I just want to know if it possible to have the error message of Clarion compilation during the compilation of clarion app with the build automator.

Now we have a log that tell wich app compile, finish and failed.

When it fail, it could be really useful for me to see what is the error for each apps that fails during the batch compilation.

tanks in advance

jonatan

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Add more information about error during clarion app compilation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »
Hi jonathan,

When it fail, it could be really useful for me to see what is the error for each apps that fails during the batch compilation.

Unfortunately there is no way to get any information from the compiler at the moment, even if the compile failed or succeeded! 

The only way to indicate if the app has compiled is:

1.  The date and time of the .app file changes.  This fails if the .app file has the read-only attribute.

2.  Detect if the target exe or dll has been created.  Before the compile starts the target is deleted to be able to detect it's re-creation.

As you can see there is not much to go on<bg>  Clarion does not have a command line compiler but relies on DDE communication to compile.  There is no return code or anything to detect what happened.  All we can do is start the compile and basically see what happens.  So if the .app is set to read-only the only way to know when it has compiled is if the target is created.  If not, we can only assume that the compile failed.  We have no idea why. 

It may be possible to find the compiler window and I might then be able to subclass it and monitor what happens on it, but I don't know if that would work - I'm not particularly optimistic about it.

Clarion 7 and Clarion# use MSBuild to compile and that gives us a lot more information. 

Hope this helps:)

Best regards,
Arnor Baldvinsson - Icetips Alta LLC

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Add more information about error during clarion app compilation
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »
Hi Jonathan,

I just want to know if it possible to have the error message of Clarion compilation during the compilation of clarion app with the build automator.

Done!  See screenshot of a Clarion compile log:

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson - Icetips Alta LLC