Author Topic: Project Files  (Read 9794 times)

wtmullican

• View Profile
    • Email
Project Files
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:30:52 PM »
I am reviewing Build Automator to use with a group of programmers, but I am confused about the project files.  Example, I set up a project which uses files which all programmers would have on their PCs (same paths) but I want to check the project files into Version Control system.  Which project files from Build Automator would I check in?  Are the aprj files all I need? or do I need the sub directories?

Thanks,

Terry

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Project Files
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:14:18 PM »
Hi Terry,

I am reviewing Build Automator to use with a group of programmers, but I am confused about the project files.  Example, I set up a project which uses files which all programmers would have on their PCs (same paths) but I want to check the project files into Version Control system.  Which project files from Build Automator would I check in?  Are the aprj files all I need? or do I need the sub directories?

Very good question, one that I definitely need to put in the FAQ and the help:)

Given that the project is "MyProject" you need this into version control is:

MyProject.aprj
MyProject.avar

In addition to this you need the subfolder for the project.  To find out which folder, open the Project Properties window by clicking on the button that is farthest to the left on the toolbar on the PRoject Window - see http://www.buildautomator.com/onlinemanual/project_properties.htm   The name of the subfolder is the same as the Project GUID.  For example if your project GUID is "BCD075FB-9582-4535-A54E-A0F886C5839E", then the subfolder is also named "BCD075FB-9582-4535-A54E-A0F886C5839E"  If, like in the screenshot, the project folder is "T:\Shared Documents\Build Automator Projects" then the full path to the project data would be "T:\Shared Documents\Build Automator Projects\BCD075FB-9582-4535-A54E-A0F886C5839E"

Hope this makes sense:)

Best regards,
Arnor Baldvinsson - Icetips Alta LLC

wtmullican

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:27:06 PM »
Perfect thanks!

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:04:44 AM »
Hi Terry,

The project files have now be consolidated so there are only two files, the .aprj and the .avar files that need to be handled.  The new version that I'm working on getting ready for beta testing, converts the old .patn files in the project data folders into the .aprj files.  This makes the projects much easier to deal with and this immediately fixed several bugs in the "synchronization" code that kept this all in place.

Best regards,
Arnor Baldvinsson - Icetips Alta LLC