Author Topic: User interaction at "Execute" time  (Read 11434 times)

gspillane

• View Profile
    • Email
User interaction at "Execute" time
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:20:21 AM »
Hi Arnor,
I would like to be able to do something along the lines of:
Early in the execution process, pop up a window that asks me whether this build requires version updating or not, I answer and it writes that result to a variable so I can conditionally execute other actions.
Can this be done already or should I be looking at creating an Action File or DLL or Plugin or whatever?

By the way I have no problem creating DLLs for calling my own functions in general, I already do that with some SetupBuilder installs, but I don't quite follow your required procedure as stated in the Help. I know that Help is still under construction but could you just make some basic points of what has to be done sequentially to create and use our own defined functions if required?

Best Regards,
Geoff Spillane
Data Down Under

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: User interaction at "Execute" time
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »
Hi Geoff,

I would like to be able to do something along the lines of:
Early in the execution process, pop up a window that asks me whether this build requires version updating or not, I answer and it writes that result to a variable so I can conditionally execute other actions.
Can this be done already or should I be looking at creating an Action File or DLL or Plugin or whatever?

This is not possible right now but I'm hoping to be able to add this to the message function for next build which will be sometime around mid July. 

By the way I have no problem creating DLLs for calling my own functions in general, I already do that with some SetupBuilder installs, but I don't quite follow your required procedure as stated in the Help. I know that Help is still under construction but could you just make some basic points of what has to be done sequentially to create and use our own defined functions if required?

The help for the development of plugins is very much under construction.  I'll see what I can do about a simple instruction set after the weekend:)  Hmm...  This is also giving me an idea for a Call DLL function which would be very similar to the one in Setup Builder.  Plugins are much more interactive with the Build Automator IDE, but calling a DLL with what I have already in the BA would be simple for me to do:)  Thanks for getting my gears started;)

Best regards,
Arnor Baldvinsson - Icetips Alta LLC

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
Hi Geoff,

What you could do temporarily is create a small exe, something like:

Program
 Map
 End
RetCode Long
 Code
 RetCode = Message(...)
 Case RetCode
 Of Button:Yes
   RetCode = 1
 Else
  RetCode = 0
 End
 Halt(RetCode)

Then in the BA you could use the Run Program action and use the "Variable to assign run code to" to set a variable which would then be set to 1 if you press the Yes button on the Message, otherwise it would be 0.

Best regards,

gspillane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »
What you could do temporarily is create a small exe, something like:

Yes, of course. Now I'm annoyed at myself for not seeing this.

Thanks Arnor.

Best Regards,
Geoff

Arnor Baldvinsson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:36:59 AM »
Hi Geoff,

Now with build 1.50.1210 you can use the "Call DLL" action to call your own dlls.  I've put the source for a simple Clarion DLL up on our download page http://www.buildautomator.com/download-examples.php

You can now also use the Message() to add various buttons and set the default button and store the button pressed in a variable that you can use in conditions. 

Best regards,